Beaufort County School District
JOB DESCRIPTION (DRAFT 3/23/2015)
Position Title: PUBLIC SAFETY/FIRE FIGHTER TEACHER - Career & Technology Education (CATE) (Bluffton High School)
• Associate’s degree or higher preferred from regionally accredited college/university in a CATE fire fighter-related discipline;
• Must be licensed to teach Public Safety/Fire Fighter Education course or be eligible for South Carolina certification in Public Safety/Fire Fighter I;
• Must hold a current instructor certification from the South Carolina Fire Academy;
• Must have a minimum of four years work experience in the Fire Fighting industry;
• Must possess and maintain a valid South Carolina driver’s license.
• Responsible for facilitating student learning, using data to plan, organize and set goals; and maintain safe and orderly environment;
• Responsible for teaching to the South Carolina Fire Academy Standards to include Firefighter Safety and Health, Personal Protective Equipment, Ropes, Webbing, Structural Search, Ground Ladders, Water Supply, Fire Hose Methods, and Fire Control;
• Responsible for facilitating career planning opportunities in the Fire Protection occupations for students;
• Responsible for assisting students to obtain initial industry certifications in CPR, First Aide, and qualifications under the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA).
• Meet the needs of all learners;
• Develop and compile student lesson plans, records and reports;
• Establish and maintain working relationships with students, teachers, parents, and administrators;
• Communicate effectively in written and oral form;
• Maintain safe learning environment;
• Utilize various forms of media & technology;
• Complete other duties as assigned.
Other Information: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, reach with hands and arms, and stand actively for extended periods of time. The employee must frequently walk, use hands and fingers to key date, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls; talk and hear; reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, ability to adjust focus. The Beaufort County School District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Reports To: High School Principal
Days: 10 month/190 Days